Vermont’s Fall Open Studio Weekend is this weekend (October 6 & 7)! If you’re planning on visiting my studio (and you totally should), you can visit other great artists within a 20-ish minute drive of here.
There are 8 studios in the Montpelier/Calais area. Artists are offering exhibits and demonstrations of furniture, hooked wool rugs, sculpture, painting, photography, banners, and more.
I’ll be referring to studios by both name and number – the number refers to a listing in the Vermont Studio Tour Guide. There are several ways to get your hands on a map:
- Pick up a copy at Artisans Hand Craft Gallery at the intersection of State and Main Streets in Montpelier (they’re an official Regional Information Center).
- Print out a full copy
- View a detailed map of Washington County on the Vermont Crafts Council website.
Here’s the rundown of who’s who (click on the links to learn more about specific artists):
- #15 – Vermont Floorcloths and Fiber Arts – Sandy Ducharme: Handpainted canvas rugs, hooked wool rugs.
- #15 – Hillcrest Adirondack Furniture – Richard Ducharme:
Outdoor furniture, chairs and gliders.
- #16 – Blackthorne Forge – Steven C. Bronstein:
Functional and sculptural, contemporary ironwork.
- #17 – Blue Roof Designs/Elissa Campbell: Handmade books (that’s me!)
- #18 – Ray Brown: Memory-based landscapes painted in oils.
- #19 – Adamant Community Art Center – Janet MacLeod: Paintings, papier-mache, jewelry.
- #20 – Missy Storrow: Expressionist water media paintings, photography, oils.
- #21 – Kent Museum at Historic Kents Corner – Full Circle: Vermont Artists Give Round a New Shape exhibit. Silent Auction to benefit CERF+ (Craft Emergency Relief Fund and Artist Emergency Resources). Held in conjunction with American Craft Week and the Calais Fall Foliage Festival.
- #22 – The Happiness Paradigm/Ginny Sassaman: Banners, mobiles, pins, cards, happiness.
I created the map below to help you plan your travels (here’s the printable version). Because the studios are so close to each other, you can visit quite a few of them within a short period of time.
Have fun (and come here)!