Ephemera binding, in process
Back in this post, I mentioned that I had been tapped to participate in the binding of a volume from Uppercase Magazine‘s Encyclopedia of Inspiration – Ephemera. I decided to attempt my concept of incorporating ephemera from my 2016 trip to Japan.
The book pages arrived untrimmed and I was so afraid of messing up during trimming. Finally, I found enough courage to just go for it. Check it out – all done!
Below you can see the cover – clear vinyl that I got at the hardware store. The reason behind the vinyl? When thinking about the theme of ephemera, the concept of collections immediately came to mind and then strangely, baseball card holders. The design of my book is meant to evoke this storage solution used by those wishing to protect their collections.
Two pieces were woven together for the base of a Crossed Structure Binding, linked variation.
It’s not easy to see, but you sew this binding on a sewing frame. It was hard to keep the vinyl straps taut – they were slippery and wiggly. With a lot of finessing, I managed to snug up my stitches.
Here it is, all sewn up:
To create the storage pockets, I used my Japanese screw punch to make holes in the vinyl and then completed the sewing using fishing line (it was strong and clear like the vinyl). Before punching the holes, I created a whole mess of templates so I wouldn’t mess up. Ignore the labeling on the template for the Yen pocket – it is a template, not a jig. Bad labeling.
You can see a couple of the sewn pockets below, along with their contents:
And that’s all you get to see for now. Trust me, there’s a lot more to see.
Stay tuned for the big reveal!