Wow. I have not done one of these Worktable Wednesday posts in quite a while! I wish I had some work in progress to show you, but my table has been used for a different reason lately.
The Focus on Book Arts conference is a month away. My original session of Three is a Magic Number filled up in two days and another one was added. Just to be safe, I’m preparing kits for a potential 24 students.
[start bookbinding workshop math here]
24 students x 9 books each = 216 kits. So.many.kits. Plus I’m preparing extra materials in case mistakes are made (and they do happen). Yowza.
As you may have guessed at this point, my worktable has been the stage for many workshop prep activities.
I started out with approximately 17 pounds of leather. For whatever reason, it didn’t look like a lot after it was cut down. I will say that I loves me some piles, so watching the leather accumulate was very satisfying.
Then I decided to make one big pile out of it. Just because. It’s 15 inches tall.
One of my hides was hair on, so it shed a bunch as I cut it. It was like some dude visited my studio and shaved over my table. I had to use packing tape to get all of it off my cutting mat. This really is as gross as it looks.
Next I cut and sanded sticks for one of the book closures. These were gathered on walks with Wiggum in the woods behind my house. Yes future students, you’re getting genuine Vermont sticks!
Supplies for each binding are being organized in separate bags and I ended the day inserting leather into them.
Oh, and a few embellishments went in as well. Hello black suede cord!
This is what a crate full of 216 kits looks like:
And that’s as exciting as it got today. I’m hoping to get the kits completed by the end of this week so I can ship them out to FOBA. I want to make sure that everything gets to Oregon well in advance of the conference.
I will have to carry some stuff with me on the plane and that stresses me out. This would be the worst time for luggage to get lost!