Happy Preservation Week!
Here’s what the ALA has to say about the event:
Memories and treasures should last a lifetime and be passed on to future generations. Sponsored by the ALA’s Association of Library Collections and Services and partner organizations, Preservation Week inspires actions to preserve personal, family, and community collections in addition to library, museum, and archive collections. It also raises awareness of the role libraries and other cultural institutions play in providing ongoing preservation education and information.
I have a keen interest in the concept of preservation – it’s one of the reasons why I make books. People should tell their stories and be able share them with future generations.
So what can you do to honor this week? Here are some ideas:
- Check out the resources on how to properly care for collections of books and paper.
- Watch a webinar about preserving scrapbooks.
- Teach a child about the importance of preservation.
- Confirm that your photo albums are archival and acid free.
- Make a book and share your story!
Tell me what you’re up to this week – I’d love to hear about it!