Chinese Sewing Box – the sequel
In my last post, I talked about the Chinese Sewing Box workshop I attended with Erin Sweeney. I decided to take another run at the structure on my own. Luckily, we were given a mini kit to take home after the workshop – thanks Erin!
I tackled the square Masu boxes without any difficulty. Hooray! Then came the thread containers. Oy.
I reviewed my template (with its written instructions). I started folding the paper and quickly came to the realization that I had no idea what the heck I was doing.
I opened the template. I closed the template. I tried to do the same thing with my new paper – I could not get the dang thing to collapse correctly. Could you hear me swearing from wherever you are?
There was no way I was giving up on this thing. I decided to refer to Alice Simpson’s tutorial that I linked to in my last post. Best. Idea. Ever. Alice’s detailed instructions and clear photos were invaluable in the regaining of my sanity.
After that, there were four rectangular Masu boxes, two collapsed on the short sides and two on the long sides.
Annnndddd…this is when I tore my large Masu box template…phooey. Enter Washi tape.
Thankfully, I was able to fold the new box without incident.
I took pictures of the assembly, as I could glue in my own sweet time. I hope my descriptions make sense – if not, let me know where I lost you and I’ll try to clarify it better.
You start by taking two small rectangular boxes (collapsed on the long sides) and glue them to the top sides of the large rectangular box.
Two small rectangular boxes (collapsed on the short sides) are then glued to the top of the previous rectangular box, only applying glue to the top sides that are closest to the edges of the large box on the bottom.
Next, four small square boxes are glued to the top sides of the previous rectangular box. Admission – I oriented my square boxes incorrectly when I glued them. I’ve decided to refer to this as an “improvised feature”.
The last gluing step is to attach the four thread containers to the top sides of the square boxes. My thread containers flare out towards the sides of the structure, rather than towards the top and bottom (which is how it was supposed to go – oh well).
All done with the gluing! The very last step is to fold the belt. This was definitely easier this time around.
And it’s time for the icing on the cake! Well, for the belt on the book, anyway. Ta-da!
The spine of the structure was a bit stiff, so I rolled it around the handle of my glue brush – this created a soft curve and the spine is much happier now.
I am definitely digging this structure. My plan is to make the next one with Reversible Unryu. I’ll let you know how it goes!