I started today gluing covers for some coptic journals. I used marbled papers by Nancy Morains that I picked up at last year’s Paper and Book Intensive.
I’ve been thinking a lot about why I glue in a way that’s against tradition – I put glue on the board and not on the paper. I tried brushing glue on the paper today and it was really difficult to control. I find that gluing the board gives me greater control.
It’s weird – my brain tells me this is wrong but my hands tell me it’s right.
I also sewed a couple of my space travel journals with a double needle coptic stitch. Each journal requires four needles to complete the sewing.
I love how the black and red threads look together. Three space travel journals down, nine more in the edition to go!