Today was spent in Coptic binding mode. The first book I worked on was a MonoJournal – this is a new line of books that I debuted at Craft Vermont. I’ll talk about these journals in detail next week.
Today’s book was of the Lime variety:
This book is bound with four curved needles. While binding the book, I work with the needles hanging off the front edge of my worktable – it helps keep the thread from getting tangled.
The journals I worked on next were larger and had hand-painted cover papers by Claire Maziarczyk. Her papers are simply stunning. All of these journals are one-of-a-kind because I could only get one set of covers from each sheet of paper.
I realize that my stitching looks crooked in the following image, but it gets straighter as you continue working on it. This larger journal requires six needles for the binding.
I didn’t get a lot of work done today because I had an appointment in the early afternoon and a super-fun evening meeting of the Book Arts Guild of Vermont.
Tomorrow I pack up for this weekend’s show in Morristown, New Jersey – Holiday CraftMorristown. Hopefully I’ll get everything done in time!