10 cool things I learned about Julie Chen
- She likes candy, including Swedish Fish and gummy bacon.
- She has a great sense of humor.
- She feels inspired by Rock’em Sock’em Robots.
- She has, on at least one occasion, shocked airport security by the presence of paper bacon in her carry-on bag.
- When she does an edition, she works on four pieces at a time.
- She uses an acid-free Uhu glue stick in her work. Not the purple one.
- When she does an edition, she keeps three copies: one for herself/studio, one exhibition copy, and one for her mother as a disaster recovery backup.
- She doesn’t like to talk about projects she hasn’t developed fully out of fear that she will be hit by a bus.
- She has held on to a sentence for 15 years, waiting for the right project to come along for its use.
- When she decided to get trained in bookbinding, she had no previous experience. The faculty of Mills College almost didn’t admit her into the program. She’s now an Assistant Professor in their Book Art program.
Bonus: She is not the same Julie Chen who hosts Big Brother.