@import url( http://blueroofdesigns.com/wp-content/themes/blueroof2.1/style.css );
I just completed my book for this week’s Book Arts Improv.
The process for the book went pretty smoothly – that is, until I realized that I was gluing my book together backwards. That was not a good moment for me. Sadly, I lost half of my edition as a result (it was going to be an edition of six). At least my recycle bin had a good meal today.
Here are the themes I was working with this week:
And here’s the finished product – my first Improv 2014 book, Ode-ors of a Ginkgo:
The covers are covered in herbstlaub Duo bookcloth – the weave has both yellow and green threads. I printed the text pages using Book Antiqua on Speckletone True White cover stock. The end pages are made from Canson Mi-Teintes paper.
The form of the book is known as a flexagon. There are different ways to make a flexagon and this one is less math-y than the one you’ll find if you Google it. You’ll see how the flexagon works later on.
For the text, I wrote nine haiku (haikus? haikuses?) about ginkgos. Here’s the content when you first open the book:
Came from a spelling mistake
No A for you, dude
Ginkgos are tough trees
They tolerate pollution
What secondhand smoke?
Excellent shade tree
Perfect for urban landscapes
And here’s the content when you turn the book to the back:
I just fell in love
Ginkgo, the living fossil
Way older than me
The fruit smells so bad
Like changing an old diaper
I want to vomit
Occurs via motile sperm
Flagellum kicks ass
There are also three more haiku hidden in the flexagon structure. If you are looking at the back page spread and push the two rear accordion folds toward the center so they meet, you can then peel apart the hidden section from the front.
If that doesn’t make sense, don’t worry – just check out the video below!
Here’s the content you’ll find in the hidden section:
Atom bomb went off
Six ginkgos survived the blast
Chinese prize the nuts
They consider them useful
Not so good for animals
Don’t feed to Fido
As I have done before, I incorporated a pocket in the back of the book to hold the colophon. I love making pockets. This book was made in an edition of three.
I hope you enjoyed the book!
I’ll be posting the new Improv themes tomorrow, so be sure to come back if you’d like to enter the weekly drawing.
I look forward to next week’s challenge!